Monday, August 6, 2012

Summer Fun


















We have really been having a blast this summer. It hit 104 on Saturday. We don't have air conditioning- or a single fan. Joe, Saylor, Luna, and I found ourselves outside in our bathing suits, with our feet in the duck pond, randomly spraying water from the hose over our heads for a quick relief. But it was so much fun! Around 7:30 PM, Joe couldn't take it anymore. He ushered us out of the house to go to Goodwill. No, we didn't need anything. No, we didn't buy anything. I smiled the whole car ride there, shaking my head, and I told Joe, "I will never forget this day; the day we had to drive to a second hand store just to steal their air conditioning." I remember, when I was still in Georgia, talking to my Mom about my worries of living on a Ph.D student income, and she told me, "Living pay check to pay check is one of the fondest memories I have when your Dad and I were just starting off." I didn't understand that then, but I do now. It's refreshing to know that our family can be so happy, and not spend money at every turn. I think Socrates had it right when he said "He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature." And boy, am I content.

2 comments:

  1. I love that quote! And, I love even more that you are so content. It makes a momma very, very content to know that, especially when you guys are so far away. Loving your blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, simple pleasures. Glad you are resourceful and watchful, taking it all in, capturing these moments with photos and words- thanks for writing about these milestones and sharing them!

    ReplyDelete