Thursday, August 11, 2011

I feel healthy...

I woke up this morning and realized that I feel so good when I exercise and eat well. I mean, duh, common sense, but the benefits of doing those two things outweigh the taste of any decadent treats. Another thing I've realized is that even though you don't wake up 10 lbs lighter, the fact that you know you're working towards your goals gives you self confidence.

I've been thinking about why I've felt so overwhelmingly happy since I've moved here. Not that I wasn't extremely happy in Georgia... being around my family would mean everything to me, but I have been thinking about what I've changed since I've moved here that has gotten me closer to happiness. Obviously getting married would be #1. Sharing everything with someone is really beautiful, and I look at is as an art that no one will master. The hard times bring happiness, because when you overcome hurdles you're one step closer to mastering the art of matrimony.

#2 would have to be prioritizing. Now that I'm lucky enough to be able to stay home with Saylor, I'm able to appreciate her has my main priority. Not that I didn't before, when I was working, and not that the working Mom isn't able to, just for me specifically... I feel as if I'm not blinded by other factors that should have been on the back burner. She's my main focus throughout the entire day, and even though it's not easy, the difficulties add great reward. (i.e. 2 hours of non stop attempts to get her to use her potty yesterday and she FINALLY did it. Stressful, then rewarding for both parties involved!)

The #3 in the list is taking care of my own messes. Oddly enough, I've found great meditation in cleaning. There's just something about taking something messy and making it shine that gives me great pleasure. Now, don't get this confused with enjoyment. If I didn't have to clean that would be awesome, BUT after I'm done there is a sense of achievement. When I lived at home the dishes magically always got washed, and I didn't mind clothes all over my bedroom floor, and not cleaning my bathroom. Or at least I thought I didn't mind, but it is a much more pleasant living environment now that I DO mind.

And last but not least, #4. I've been forcing myself not to stress over the things I can't control or that doesn't REALLY matter. If I start to feel myself getting anxious, or losing sleep over a stressor, I try and think about being on my death bed. Will this "stressor" be important then? Will we lose our house, electricity, or be unable to eat because of this "stressor"? If the answer is "No," I make myself put it out my head and let it be. Sometimes it's easier than others, but I really try to make a conscious effort to let it go and let it be.

Now, if only I could see my family and Joe's family often I would be the happiest girl on the planet! So, thank goodness for Skype!

2 comments:

  1. Nice insights and very sound thinking. Being a stay at home mom has its challenges- I also like that you are setting your goals, and that you appreciate the value of relationships and general pleasantness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am starting to sound like a broken record saying, "I am so very proud of you" all the time, but it's just so true. And, even more then that, I'm happy for you that you guys are so happy and doing so, so well out there. It makes the missing you so much more bearable. You happy, me happy!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete