Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Our week long challange starts TODAY!

Joe and I got woken up in the middle of the night by Saylor wanting to get in bed with us. This happens at least 3 times a week, and it usually takes me about half an hour to fall back asleep. In that 30 minutes last night I started thinking about one thing I could cut out of my life that didn't make me feel good, or wasn't benefiting me. The first thing that popped into my head was sugar. For whatever reason, at 8 pm every night an alarm goes off in me that screams "SUGAR! SUGAR!" and I always give into it. I even make a serious attempt to not keep anything sweet in the house, but of course, a sweet tooth always finds a way to feed. I usually just make cookies or something from scratch. Tsk... So, at 2 am this morning, I decided to set out on a mission... a mission to do nothing! When my sweet tooth calls, I will not respond. In fact, I went as far as to make myself cut out sugar in general (for one week). No yogurt with added sugar, no ketchup, no sweetened jelly, you get the idea. I went to my sacred calander where everything written down is done, and continued to right an 's' with the "no smoking" slash through it for 7 days.

I told Joe about it this morning and he got really excited for me... And even agreed to join me! Our conversation started to drift towards high fructose corn syrup, and in a fit of excitement we started going through our fridge and throwing things away that contained it. And the things that we didn't want to waste the money on throwing away was sorted separately on opposite sides of the fridge or cupboard so we would know to eat it in moderation. So, the week started this morning and I am doing fine... But when 8 pm rolls around I might have to lock myself in my room!

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I know you are going to feel soooo good. Man, if all of us would cut out all or even half of the foods we eat with HFCS we would improve our health so dramatically. I applaud you. And, here's a big list of foods that contain it. http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php/2005/06/09/foods_and_products_containing_high_fruct Good luck! LOVE you.

    ReplyDelete