Monday, July 9, 2012

Garden #2






So I have been keeping a compost in the back yard since the day we moved into our house. This means every day, for one year, we have not thrown away ANY egg shells, coffee grounds/filters, veggies or fruit that have gone bad, or any leftover veggies/fruit. It's become such a habit, Joe and I no longer think about it. When our Tupperware of scraps gets full, we take it out to the composter. Then yesterday Joe asks me, "So, when are you going to do something with that compost?" It had completely slipped my mind to actually USE the dirt we were making. So this morning, I grabbed some of our scrap wood, a shovel, and got to work! The first 2 photos above are of the new garden bed. I planted the extra seeds I had; some sweet corn, giant pumpkins, and zucchini. I keep thinking I SHOULD plant flowers, but I think vegetables are just as pretty, and they provide you with food... so they win. I'm so interested/nervous to see if it will work, considering under the compost and bark is that black, plastic spread to keep weeds from growing. If the veggies don't work I will just resort to planting flowers (since their root systems are usually more shallow). Or strawberries! 

In other news, things are fine and dandy. Luna is DYING to go on an adventure but she still has to be kept up for another week. Poor baby. We are finally getting some real summer weather! It's been in the mid 80's. Saylor keeps busy playing in the duck pond, making "soup", which is just dirt, water, grass clippings, and whatever toys she can find. 

Our crater lake trip didn't happen, unfortunately. With Luna's spay surgery, our twice annual car insurance payment, and the pet deposit, our bank account needs some recoup time. :) But we have been more than happy just sitting in the back yard, soaking up the sun, throwing the ball for Luna, and watching Saylor run around. 

Even though I may not be missing the 100 degree Georgia days, I am missing the folks that live there! Every day, I am shocked at how blessed our little family is, and thankful for our loving families on the other side of the country. They are awesome, and are on my mind a lot more than they probably realize! 

More next week... 

LOVE!!! 

3 comments:

  1. MAN, your garden is looking good. You guys will be reaping the benefits, soon! Saylor will haver to help you make some REAL soup, then. : ) LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden in the back yard is huge-glad you are reaping a nice harvest, a return to be proud of. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you, if you are like me and your Pawpaw it makes you feel so good to give life to all these plants. It's like it soothes my soul when I garden. Oh yeah, I'm glad your gourds are starting to climb. When the gourds are all dried out, save one or two for seeds next year. If you have enough you could sell a few at the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete